Question
Posted by: worried | 2008/06/19

thin bleeding lines

For a while now ive had splinter like lines under my thumb nail,it comes every three weeks or so. Now its starting in my pinkie on the opposite hand.
Is this a lack of somehting? At first I thought it was a splinter I had got in my thumb.

Dear Worried
This could be a sign of possible serious heart disease. Splinter hemorrhages are associated with infection of the heart valves (endocarditis) and may be caused by vessel damage from swelling of the blood vessels (vasculitis) or tiny clots that damage the small capillaries (microemboli). Endocarditis can cause heart failure as it eventually destroys your heartvalves. Please see a doctor as soon as possible! He may need to send your for a heart sonar, and cardiology opinion too. Sometimes this is due to trauma to the nail but the fact you have it on both hands worries me.