Question
Posted by: Tumi | 2010/11/15

Thin Big Tummy

I'm 23and have a thin body (BMI of 18,5). I have almost no visible fat on my arms and legs, it's all very nice and muscular, but I have a lot of fat around my stomach. I don't go to the gym, but I walk around a lot during the day and bycicle a few times a week. I don't know what to do. No matter what I do, my stomach looks fat. I can see the muscles behind the thick layer of fat, so I think my never stopping has had results, but how do I get rid of the fat on top? Are sit-ups a way to go...Will the sit-ups only concetrate on the Tummy only and not affect my body as i'm thin already?

Hi Tumi

This is a really tough problem to solve. Genes are mainly responsible for where we store fat, and so even when you have very little weight to lose (as is the case for you, at a BMI of 18.5), we still have those stubborn areas.

Now, we know that "spot reduction" doesn't work - you can't target an area and do a million exercises for it to lose weight there. So that's not that answer. The answer, is cardio training, which burns fat. So you're already doing that, but maybe what's needed is a little more high intensity training. When you cycling, try intervals where you ride harder for say a minute and then slow for say 2 minutes. That increase often helps with that last stubborn area.

So that would be my advice - higher intensity cardio, two or three days a week.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/17

Hi Tumi

Reply to fitnessdoc