Question
Posted by: Fran | 2012/03/14

Thigh Pain After Gym

I have recently just returned to gym and every day after gym my thigh hurts. This goes on for 1-2 days then is fine again. I do cardio mainly running on the treadmill and bikes. I have never had this problem before and it is just the one thigh on my right side that gives me problems. I have never been injured on this side before and I am not overweight. What causes this pain and how can I get it sorted or treat it?

Hi Fran

If it's only one side, and it happens as a result of running then it may be a slight muscle strain as a result of running. The impact of running would hurt it, but it's obviously not too severe, and that allows you to return a few days later. So a mild muscle strain perhaps.

The only way to completely overcome this is to back off the activity causing the pain - the running, and allow it to settle. Maybe try cycling, or stairs, or eliptical or something else, for a week or two, and then ease back into it. It's not too difficult to twinge a muscle midly, and often you won't realise it.

If it persists, then I'd recommend seeing a physio, have it diagnosed and rehabilitated. But first try to bring down training volume and see if that has any effect.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/26

Hi Fran

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc