Question
Posted by: Cal | 2012/03/09

Thickening Middle

I''m a 48 year old women - 6"  tall - 84kg - wear a size 12 and train 3 - 4 times a week. Cardio / circuit training / free weights and a bit of pilates. I have fair to good muscle tone and don''t carry too much weight but I seem to have suddenly picked up a bit around the middle that I can''t seem to shake. I have been pushing my abs routine quite hard - is there any chance that I''m doing a particular exercise too much and somehow this is causing the " block"  like appearance of my stomach area.

My abs are fairly strong and I try to do a variety of different exercises to cover all the areas - is there anything in particular I should avoid or be doing more of ?

Hi Cal

It's a problem as we get older - unfortunately, father time and our physiology make it harder to keep weight off, and then different people tend to gain in different areas - the stomach is common.

I think the key is diet, not exercise. There's no exercise that you're doing that's wrong. I think the focus on ab exercise is less effective than most would wish it was, because the problem is that we can't really spot reduce, or target a specific area with specific exercises. The problem is that the body stores fat because energy intake is a little too high compared to energy use, and so I believe diet makes a bigger impact on this than exercise or any training.

Having said this, I have seen and experienced that people tend to neglect certain types of stomach exercise which help more with posture than with muscle tone, but that's part of the "package". And I think that if you can focus more on activating your TA muscle, by pulling your belly button in, then it can make a difference. It's small though, more important is just addressing the energy balance, maybe with dietary changes - small things can make a big difference.

2
Posted by: Bobbo | 2012/05/01

Thanks for sharing. Always good to find a real eepxrt.

Reply to Bobbo
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/17

Hi Cal

Reply to fitnessdoc