Question
Posted by: TT | 2010/08/24

Thick throat

Dear doc

I just returned from vacation in the Kruger Park and for the past 4-5 days I have had a " thick"  feeling in my throat. We drove on a few dirt roads and the vehicle was severely filled with dust at times.

I woke up one morning with severe sneezing and a runny nose and it appeared to be something like a cold/hay fever. This is about 4 days ago. When swallowing I can feel that there is mucus going down my throat from the nose, but the " thick"  feeling in my throat feels more like there is a piece of food stuck in it all the time, not just something like a back-nasal drip. The feeling is however absent upon waking up in the morning and seems to start again after eating.

What can this possibly be? It is not sore/painful at all and my tonsils have been removed as a kid.

Thanks doc.

Hallo TT
It sounds as if there may be two problems - the sinusitis symptoms and maybe an esophageal spasm. I suggest you see your GP as you may need antibiotics for the Post nasal drip as well as a prescription for an antispasmodic for the tightness in your throat.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/24

Hallo TT