Posted by: Aubrie | 2009-03-25

They Wont Listen!!

okay, yes im back again, I love this website i actually get usefull information!! THANK YOU!!! okay back to my problems, recently i printed out my first question and answer... my mom says its just my hormones or she said its just because in a girl and my girl issues...she says thats why i feel down at times!! BUT I DONT FEEL DOWN AT TIMES I FEEL DOWN 24/7 and people are starting to notice!! im really scared and a couple of nights ago i cried myself to sleep...ive been VERY emotional all the dad says that all teenagers have mental problems it just something that i have to deal with!!!! i got soo mad at them all i could do was cry.. also recently i have also felt VERY ugly and fat and just gross even though ik im not im actally very pretty but my self esteme is like very low and idk what to do!! I dont wanna be the mental kid and i wanna get help NOW not im 10 years why cant anyone comprehend that!!!?????????????????????????????????????

Hi Aub ! Pleased to hear from you again, but sorry there isn't good news so far. Its so sad that your parents responded in such an inadequate was, but at least you gave them the chance to be sensible. They probably care for you a lot, but don't want to think that you might be unwell in any way, and would prefer to insist to themselves that this is something minor which will soon blow over. Indeed, maybe it is more minor than it feels --- but the safest option is alwasy to get a proper pofessional / expert assessment, to be sure. I wonder whether they have managed, so far, to ignore or minimize their own upsets, similarly, and feel threatned by the idea of taking such problems more seriously.
Again I agree with maria, explore twhat might be available through school --- a guidance teacher or simply a good teacher you trust and like, to talk with and see if they can suggest a way of linking you to some help. You could also try calling Lifeline ( number on this page ) for someone to talk to directly.

Posted by: anon | 2009-03-26

Hi Aubrie,

You have received excellent advice from CS, Maria and Hope*.

Your parents may be in denial, may try to normalise your fears and feelings, etc. but that doesn' t help you, as you are feeling that they are not really *listening* to what you are saying. Call Lifeline and have a chat with one of the counsellors alternatively Depression and Anxiety Helpline. They will be able to refer you to someone close to you in your area.

Try talking to a school counsellor as well, as Maria suggested, you will find that after talking about your fears, anxieties and sharing everything with someone else, you may not feel as bad as you are now, when you feel your parents are not taking you seriously.

Practise deep breathing and try thinking of nothing for a few minutes each day, just your breathing technique. Whenever you feel the panic coming on, you can focus on your breathing. In the meantime, keep a journal, just for you and start writing in it each day. Its very therapeutic and writing about everything will also get it out of your system.

Do you have a GP? If so, call your GP and tell him/her how you are feeling and what has been going on, he/she will be able to refer you to someone else and speak to your parents.

You are an intelligent person, as you are able to describe how you are feeling, also recognise there is something wrong and you want to feel better. You are asking for help. You will find help.

Take care,

Reply to anon
Posted by: mental kid | 2009-03-26

give it 2 yrs if it doesnt work out get a drug habit

Reply to mental kid
Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-26

By the way, you have no reason to be ashamed regardless of what anybody says. You come across as being intelligent and having very good insight into your problem. Don' t let other people' s ignorance make you feel bad.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Hope* | 2009-03-26

Hi Aubrey. Your parents dont understand or sometimes a parent or family member does not want to accept that there is a problem, because they dont want it to be so. So, really, they are possibly in denial about what is obvious. You need to think of you first. Call lifeline, really, they can and will help. Do you have a family member who you can trust that you could confide in. Don' t leave yourself in this state. Please call Life Line, Lv, Hope*

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-26

Oh Aubrie, I' m so sorry that your parents handled the situation so badly. (((HUGS)))

Is there a guidance teacher at your school that you could talk to? Or another teacher that you feel comfortable with? I' m not sure exactly how it works but I know the education department employs psychologists.

Reply to Maria