Posted by: BMJ | 2011-11-22

These hips

Since March this year, I have had pain in my hips. The pain is where the joint and the socket fit together. The constant pain is more in my left hip - although I feel my other hip too .I dont have back ache or much leg pain. Climbing stairs is difficult. Sitting with my knee higher than my hip is painful and turning my leg in or out is very painful. Leaning forward is painful. If I lie on my back and open my legs wth my knees apart, it hurts and the pain is worse for days after .I am constantly aware of my hip. I went to the dr in March and she had an xray done which excluded osteoarthritis and conculded it must be bursitits. I went for 6 sessions of physio that had about a 10% relief but I still have constant discomfort. I have not done any exersize since visiting my dr. Could you tell me if a chiropracter might be able to help with this kind og problem? I am female and 39 - healthy other than a bit overweight, or is it back to the gp? It has been months now. Initially I took an anti-inflammatory for a few days - but they affect my tummy, so it is not a long term solution. The last 4 weeks the pain has gone form discomfort to really feeling pain and today I needed pain medication to feel some relief.

I suggest that you consult an orthopaedic surgeon. I do not think that a chiropractor will be beneficial. A diagnosis must be made, in order to get the correct treatment.