Posted by: L.H. | 2009-04-27

Thermal balloon ablation

Hi. 42 yr old. Uterine fibroids which are starting to cause problems. One gynae wants to go the partial hysterectomy route and a previous one advised thermal balloon ablation.
I' m inclined to agree with the previous gynae as I DO NOT want to have a hysterectomy. Should I insist on the t.b.a. with the present gynae? Also could you give me more info on this procedure i.e. pain,success rate etc.

It really depends where the fibroids are in the uterus. how many and how big. Thermal ablation tends to work when there is a problem with the womb lining, but not as well if there are many large fibroids.

Posted by: L.H. | 2009-04-29

Thanks for answering part of my question.You didn' t mention anything about pain etc. I cannot recall where exactly the fibroids were located however there are 2 larger ones and a few smaller ones. If a t.b.a. is not feasible then what other form of treatment is there other than a hysterectomy?

Reply to L.H.