Question
Posted by: Sue | 2009/11/13

Therapy for ADHD child

Hi Doc,

My daughter is 9, was diagnosed with ADHD 2 years ago, and is battling quite a bit on the social side (at school and home). After meeting with her teacher, and putting the home behaviour together with the school behaviour, I have put her into therapy with a councelling psychologist who specialises in children.
My daughter was battling in groups at school, was the last to be picked for teams, not like by the other kids etc. At home she has these awful over reactive over emotional episodes where she throws hystercial temper tantrums, then 5 minutes later is bright and breazy (which are incredibly exhausting for me).

The psychologist is incredibly expensive, so I' ve had to draw my life savings (m/aid wont pay on the plan I' m on, and I' m a single mom) - I' m happy with the decision to send her, but I want to know what you think? The psychologist cant estimate yet how many sessions she' ll need (she' s only been for one so far, and will go once a week) - Am I doing the right thing? Will it help my child?

Thanks a million

I am bothered by who makes some of the diagnoses of ADHD, and how some such kids get treated, often at high expense and with little benefit.
IF this is a proper diagnosis of ADHD ( and I would require this to be made by a proper paediatrician of child psychiatrist / child psychologist, and I would want THEM to recommend treatment.
Too often I come across a diagnosis being made by a teacher, or Ocupational Therapist, neither of whom are qualified to do this properly. And some of these psychologists and OT provide extremely expensive "treatment" for which there is no evidence of effectiveness.
Counselling psychologisy would NEVER be my choice m of treatment in such a situation.
And what you describe does not sound like ADHD at all, bu some behavioural problems which a CLINICAL psychologist should be able to help with.
I have friends who have spent a fortune on weekly sessions with a number of such folks, and I notice no difference in the pleasant kid who I see fairly regularly, and who probably didn't need treatment in the first place.
For any problem, one needs a good diagnosis based on a competent assessment by a properly qualified professional, and then treatment for which there is some good evidence of safety and effectiveness.

1