Question
Posted by: Anon/D | 2010-07-16

therapy

Thank you CS. I definitely don''t think he was the predatory type, just very misguided. I don''t tend to sexualise attention that I receive from others (thankfully) and apparently I have no pathology whatsoever - apparently I should not have been in therapy for 4 years! The objective evidence for his countertransference is contained in the lever arch file of emails between us. No doubt this was the determining factor in SASOP sending him back for his own therapy. Assuming this was counter-transference playing out, would you put him into the 2nd category (more neurosis than predator) mentioned by Glen Gabbard as quoted here: " The second general type described is the " lovesick"  therapist (Table 3). Unlike the predatory violator, with these therapists erotic desire centers on one patient only. The violations generally occur in the wake of major stressors, often marital disruptions, so the therapist is narcissistically vulnerable. These therapists convince themselves that they are truly and deeply " in love"  and that these feelings are not a result of transference. The self-destructiveness is obvious to everyone except the therapist." ?

I wont bother you with anymore questions - I am just trying to understand what the professional opinion is on this.

No, he was probably not a predator, though some such do exist, but perhaps naive and not as fully trained as would have been useful. If as you say he is considered eminent in other ways, that can actually be a disadvantage in making it harder for us to spot one's own naivety.
I wish I could say I have no pathology whatever ! It can be a problem, especialy in some forms of therapy, that one may become so involved in the process, a new terminology, and all the fascinating theories, etc., that one may not notice whether one truly needs it, or may no longer ned it.
Some have said that the purpose of therapy with complex theories is to keep both paient and therapis suitably entertained and engrossed while the individual gets better from natural causes.
I think I met Glen Gabbard once or twice, and he seemed a sensible chap. Yes, this episode seems to fit his model as you describe it. Predators almost by definition violate repeatedly, and those boundary violations become more of the focus of their activity than the therapy itself.
It sounds as though you have researched and read in the area very effectively. Sadly, in a way, you seem to hav a far better understanding of the problem and its basis than did your therapist at that time.

1