Question
Posted by: mary | 2009/05/26

therapy

my mothers gp reccomended she have therapy as well.
what type of therapy should she have and how long would it last for. Do you know the cost. We do not have a medical aid for her.

Expert ImageArchive

Psychiatrist:

It is generally recommended to follow a holistic therapeutic approach - so to combine medication and therapy is a good idea in many patients.

The type of therapy and duration thereof is something which is determined by the therapist and patient together.

I am not sure about the cost of an individual therapy session with a Psychologist, but think it is around R 500 per hour.

Remember that there are psychologists in Government Clinics too, where the cost would be much less.