Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-19

I’ ve previously told you that I’ ve been referred by my employer’ s employee assistance programme to a psychologist. I’ ve listened to your advice about the SHIP therapy and requested to be referred to someone else. Psychologists usually makes me feel like a bug under a microscope, especially when they hear that I’ m Bipolar. I’ ve now been referred to a social worker! She said she practices CBT. The first session with her felt really different. It felt as if I was talking to a friend. Hopefully she will be able to help me with my problem with assertiveness. My feeling is that she would probably cause less damage than the psychologist with her SHIP therapy.

Any psychologist who makes yopu feel like a bug under a microscope is a lousy shrink and badly trained. And they shouldn't be sniffy about anyone's diagnosis, especially a common problem like bipolar which is their bread and butter. If you have found a social worker who does CBT, that's an improvement. And the first session sounds very promising.
I can't imagine anyone benefitting from a garbled treatment like SHIP --- that SHIP would sink anyone

Posted by: nice | 2009-03-19

thats good news, glad to hear it worked out...

Reply to nice