Posted by: Mouse | 2009-03-06

I have been offered a couple sessions with a psychologist through my work. I don’ t have a choice about the psychologist I’ m seeing. What worries me is that she told me that she practices SHIP therapy. I’ m disappointed. You have already told us a million times that the only therapy that really works is CBT. Do you know anything about SHIP therapy? If you do, is there a little possibility that it might help for problems with assertiveness? I' ve already had my first session. If I don' t get help I could lose my job.

Firstly, I think you should urgently consult a good lawyer, the CCMA and the Dept of labour. No employer is allowed to ever threaten, directly or by implication, any employee with losing their job if they do not take therapy. The more so when you are to be given no choice as to which psychologist you see, or what treatment method is used. Any psychologist who knowingly accepted such an arangement, such as the referral exclusively of employees of a particular company, to receive solely one form of therapy, would be acting unprofessionally, and should be reported to the Healh Profession Council for investigation.
It is dubious whenver any therapist uses only one exclusive method and no others, especially when, as in the case of SHIP, this is a proprietary, marketed method invented and marketed appaently only within Pretoria, and one that completely lacks approval and acceptance by the broad psychological and psychiatric community within South Africa, let alone internationally.
I have checked and found a website apparently devoted to SHIP therapy, and don't care for what I see there. It refers to a specific group of Pretoria psychologists who practice this method, and contains no references to any scientifically valid or recognized evaluations, research or studies to back the claims made. There is reference only to one book, written and self-published by the psychologist who apparently invented the method. Within the site I found disturbing references to discredited concepts like "body memory" for which there is no good research backing, but which is favoured by some highly dubious American "therapies" --- and articles quoted with apparent approval make ludicrous claims about bad memories getting placed within one's DNA, and therapy by tapping the patient to get rid of suh memories, features which one has seen in American methods generally laughed at within the profession internationally.
There is no evidence whatever that this method is useful in any condition, let alone if you lack assertiveness, whereas behaviour therapy and CBT are well knwon to help such problems.
I wouldn't allow my cat to have SHIP therapy
And if some employer ( presumably also a devotee of this method ) is actually both requiring staff to have sessions with psychologists who practice only this method, and makes you feel your job is at risk if you do NOT undergo this form of therapy, then something very serious is going wrong and it ought to be reported to the aithorities. Should they be foolish enough to fire you, you would have a massively strong case in court to sue them, and their "expert" testimony about this method is likely to be laughed out of court.

Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-06

Mouse can you not afford to see a psychologist of your own choosing? 3 Sessions of any type of therapy is not a lot anyway.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Mouse | 2009-03-06

The therapy was only a suggestion. The choice is mine. I really need help. The problem is affecting my work performance in general.

Reply to Mouse
Posted by: 4real | 2009-03-06

how on earth can any company/employer force an employee
to see a psychologist for assertiveness?? that cant be

Reply to 4real