Question
Posted by: Donny | 2011-05-09

Theory on mental ilness

Hi doc

I have this theory about mental ilness, especially depression, OCD and anxiety.
I am basically sugesting that the mentally ill mind is in a state one where the left analytical brain and the right creative brain is in dissonance with each other. Cognitive distortions and irrational thinking is then the result of a creative brain taking over from the left brain and engaging in pseudo analytical thinking. That might also explain why mental ilnesses is so high amongst artists, poets, musicians and other creative individuals.
Just a theory but interesting concept.

Similar theories have been explored by some of those interested in understanding mental illness. My own view after many years of looking at different theories is that it is all much more complicated than any one way of looking at it or any one set of theories, and that there are several different things malfunctioning, at different levels.

And its actually not clear that mental illness is actually much higher among artists, etc., but examples where the two features co-exist are more noticeable and memorable.

1