Posted by: Lands | 2010-07-29

The Wobbly Bits

Hi, I''ve been training 5 days a week since January. I am 40-odd yrs old. I am doing 2 mornings of upper and 2 mornings of lower (each session being about 35 minutes and then with 15-20 minutes cardio after). I have lost cms and my clothes are much loser and I''m feeling great, I have just one problem...I can''t seem to get rid of the wobbly bits and lower my fat %. The difficult areas are around my hips, lower back and side of tummy, as well as my batwings (upper arms). I have definately gotten more defined but I want to get rid of the fat. WHAT DO I DO? What should I focus on more? I''m " killing myself"  here and am not really reaping the benefits?

Hi Lands

Hang in there - you've achieved a lot in a good space of time. Having lost cms and changed your shape, you're clearly doing good things. The problem you now have is common - everyone seems to battle with specific areas and that's something that takes a lot of time and a lot of effort to address.

So it will take more time - you are definitely reaping the benefits, at the risk of sound presumptuous and you are also doing things that work. What you may need to consider changing to push you over the next hurdle are:

a) Increasing the intensity, especially on your cardio training.
b) Increase the volume of your cardio - at the moment, you're doing 20 minutes, I would bump this up to 30 minutes on at least 3 days a week
c) Check your diet - when you get to this juncture, it becomes important to get everything right, and diet is as important as exercise, so if you haven't done this, then I'd invest in seeing a dietician and getting a proper eating plan.

Good luck!