Posted by: Maria | 2011-11-04

The state medical system - please help

I have a lady who cleans for us on a Saturday. She has been having problems for months with very heavy and painful periods, been to the clinic and hospital numerous times. 3 weeks ago she was in such a state when she turned up for work that I took her to my GP who prescribed meds for the pain and bleeding. This visit plus meds cost me R600. On Monday she went to the hospital again and got a letter that says she has a polyp in the uterus which they haven''''t been able to remove so she is booked for a hysterectomy on the 12th of Feb. They sent her home with folic acid and iron tablets... NOTHING to control the pain and bleeding. My GP wrote a script for me again which I went and filled this morning but I can''''t afford to keep buying her meds until Feb. Doc says that the meds she needs to control the symptoms, especially the non-stop bleeding, will not be available to outpatients in the state system.

What can I do to help her? I can''''t afford to buy her meds until Feb. She goes to Groote Schuur. Do you know of some way that we can expedite her op, someone we can speak to?

You can try and speak to the doctor who she consulted at Groote Schuur hospital to expedite her operation. If you speak to the doctor in charge, it might be possible that the hospital can supply her with pain medication.

Aspen Naproxen works very well to control the pain.

Please do not use any medication containing apsirin.