Question

The SOUP Diet - What is your thoughts...

Hi DietDoc,

Have you ever heard about this diet?

You brew this soup - carrots, green peppers, onion, cabbage and I dont know what else.

Day 1 - soup and any fruits (the whole day)
Day 2 - soup and veggies (the whole day)
Day 3 - milk and bananas

Don' t know the rest...

I know somebody that has lost a substantial amount of weight with this.

My question : How healthy is this? This person believes it is excellent for detoxing.

And what happens if you stop this soup diet? Would I just put all the weight on again?

Please advise.

Dear Anon
I am personally against any diet that is unbalanced or minimalistic because it may well achieve weightloss, but the chances that you will regain all the weight you have lost as soon as you resume a normal diet are good. It is more sensible to change your lifestyle by reducing your energy intake with a low-fat, high-fibre diet and increasing your energy output by doing daily aerobic exercise to ensure sustained weightloss without the danger of deficiencies.

2
Posted by: me | 2008/09/03

I' ve tried a similar thing, but I just eat fruit and veg &  soup for like three days a week and then eat normal balanced, healthy eating the rest of the week. I' d repeat the same maybe the next week.

It seems to work, because sometimes you need help to accelerate the weight loss

Reply to me
Posted by: Jean | 2008/09/02

its got lots of veggies in it.
i lost some weight on a soup diet. and have not picked it up yet. (hopefully will not) but my dad was on a soup diet that sounds the same than what u mentioned. and he picked up weight again after eating normal again. so i think it depends on the person. but any diet that u follow that only allow u to eat sertan things i dont believe in. now u eat just that and when u start eating normal again u will pick some weight up again. change your complete livestile and not just until u loos weight. if u change the way u eat for the long run. u will not only loos weight but r garanteed to keep it of.
good luck.
just my thaughts.

Reply to Jean