Question
Posted by: Jo | 2009-07-06

The sex of baby macaws.

I am the proud owner of two pairs of Caninde/Blue Throated Macaws. I have had 7 babies of which only 1 boy. I belive that the reverse is happening in the northern Hemisphere. Reptiles ( crocs and turtles) bury their eggs at different layers to ensure both sexes. Admittedly reptiles are cold - blooded animals. Can' t a person alter the incubation temperature to ensure a certain sex? Or is the sex determined at conception like in mammals? (This is a common occurrence in SA. Thanks.

Dear Jo

Sorry, have no idea.

2
Posted by: 007Boer | 2009-07-10

No, there is no way of affecting the sex of an unhatched bird embryo. If there were, it would have been publicised a long time ago. Chicks usually hatch in a certain ratio, that is hard-wired into the specific type of bird' s genes. This means that as an example chickens will have 1 rooster and maybe 5 or 6 hens on average (no science there, just a pure thumb suck).

Reply to 007Boer
Posted by: Carol | 2009-07-07

Interesting ? but ask a bird vet ....or other breeders .

Reply to Carol