Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2008/07/21

The Ritalin article

I was wondering if you would give me your opinion on the article about Beyond Ritalin - posted here by health24.

BMJ

Sory, but I don't have time to read all the articles posted within H24 let alone to comment on them ; especially not on a Monday morning

3
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/21

BMJ, we' ve discussed this before, and you' ve tried all the options before trying Ritalin. I think the warning that parents should examine their own motives are valid, however how do they think one gets a child through our schooling system emotionally intact, if the child cannot conform to some degree? Individualism and creativity is great, but not encouraged unless you are in a position to send your child to a private school with small classes, or do homeschooling. And even then they still have to learn the 3 R' s...

Reply to Maria
Posted by: BMJ | 2008/07/21

Mmmm, my son is growing up in a very stable, loving home with a stay at home mom and a dad that is home and involved every afternoon. He does not touch MSG, or any foods with colourants, drinks all the Omega 3, Omega 6, Zinc and Magnesium supllements. Does Karate and team sport (to get rid of exess energy) does not watch more than 30min of TV a day. He is well mannered and obedient but yet depite all this intervention, cannot concentrate at school and is still very impulsive and hyperactive. My problem is that the article does not tell parents like me that in SOME cases, only the meds work. Ritalin is a life saver for us and for our son. So my opinion is that the article is biased - but then so am I.

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: Mother | 2008/07/21

HI

I also read the article and for one agree with the it fully.
I have a son that was digonosed with ADHD and was put on Ritalin. I stopped it and rather went the homeapathic route and it turned out to have been emotional truama cusaed by a very long and rocky divorce that had caused most of the problems. there was emotional blockages and once we had got past that he is fine and coping well with out any meds

Reply to Mother