Question
Posted by: Carolina | 2008/09/10

The " C"  word!!

Hi Doc –  or anyone who would be able to assist me.

I have three questions!

First I would like to know what exactly causes cellulite? I’ m a 22year old female, 1,87m tall and I weigh about 66kgs. I am not overweight at all, I’ m actually pretty skinny except for a few places that needs work (little tummy fat, thighs… ) but I have so much cellulite and it just seem to worsen. During school I was real skinny, but my legs and especially my knees had cellulite, and now 4 years later, it has spread to all over my legs, even my calves, also to my upper arms, stomach, bum… 
Is there possibly any way I can prevent it to worsen even more?

Is there a way to make it better? I’ m too shy to wear summer clothing… And I’ ve never been able to wear any pants of skirts shorter than my knees. I just don’ t understand what is causing it.

Another thing I’ d like to know is, how effective is body brushing? I’ ve heard numerous times that it works well to brush effected areas with a dry brush, after or before bathing/showering. I’ ve been doing it for about two weeks now, and I’ m wondering if I should continue and if it’ s just all in vain?

Some advice would be great, thanks!

Have a lovely day!

Dear Caroline
No one actually knows what causes cellulite, but there is a theory that it is due to disruption of the deeper layers of the skin which then become infiltrated with fat. I have written an article on cellulite which you can access by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles and reading article 137 "The Lowdown on Cellulite". You can also try targeted exercises for those problem areas, but it is important to persevere. There are also certain products that also help for cellulite. You can contact Lilian Terry International at (021) 361-2606 and ask about their Cellulito Aromeopathic Complexes. Body brushing may help, but there is not much scientific evidence about the effectiveness of this method.
Hope you can shed the cellulite