Question
Posted by: vlooi | 2008/10/25

the principle from hell

There was an incident with schoolchildren swearing at us while we drove past them. There was also some sign showing. My kids are in the same school as those kids and i immediately wrote an email to the principle of that school and complained about this. I asked him to look into the matter and also notify their parents. He never got back to me and i called him 2 days later, to ask if he had spoken to those children and their parents about their behaviour. He had a very arrogent attitude and i lost my temper with this man. He had 100 excuses about the " bad childrens"  behaviour and started making all sorts of comments about me not communicating with my chidren properly. My goodness, we did not do anything wrong, all i did was complaine about the bad behaviour. I started telling him what i think of him and also that i think he was arrogant. Obviously he did not like it one bit. I do not like this man and it is only 1 way and that is his way. Now my little girl gets threatened and her teacher is very misrable with her. I want to take her out of this school, because of the type of children that is being accepted into this school. He feels that i am over reacting and needless to say, i feel awfull for loosing my temper with that man, but also felt that everyone just keeps quite and he is a sorry example for a principle. He was not there when i initialy enrolled my kids there, but since he joined that school, a serious decline in manners ect is visible - I am not the only one that compains about this, but various parents are complaining. How do i feel better. I am not one that looses my temper so easily, but that day, his -|- y attitude just made me snap. I am not going to go and apologise for my behaviour. With every complained i had, he tried to " downplay"  it. Then is was my point of view. This was also not the first incident with those children, the one called my child a white piece of trash. Do i just leave everyting and take my daughter out of this school? Thanks for your valuable advice.

Some teachers and head teachers are indeed both incompetent and arogant, and don't appreciate criticism. I don't see what you have to apologise for, for growing angry when he refused to carry out his responsibility to instil good behaviour in his pupils. He should have listened, investigated and acted, appropriately, not to have started with excuses from the start.
Do your homework --- locate and speak to the education inspectors and those responsible for education in your province. As Kayla says, check if there are other parents who have had similar experiences and can back you.

2
Posted by: Kayla | 2008/10/26

srry I meant yelling for your kids safety not at your kids, lol srry

Reply to Kayla
Posted by: Kayla | 2008/10/26

I' m in high school and we have a very good principle, apparently this guy is awful. Its not good for your children so I would say get them out of there, if they don' t want to leave tell them that you care for them and thats why your doing this. Don' t think its your fault if their mad at you, its for their own good, and moving them is the effect that comes from the cause of a detiriorating school. If you have no choice but to keep them in that school, then fight against this principle. If need-be call the county' s superintendent or whoever is in charge, have other parents support you by also calling, find solid evidence from teachers, other parents, and the kids especially. If these kids are going unpunished then somethings up. My school is relatively new so I haven' t seen many fights, etc. actually I' ve seen only one and the teacher and principle dealed with it properly. Compare the school to our government, if our president ignored terrorists how much trouble would we be in.
If you don' t want to lead in getting the principle fired then I would sugest that you ask one of your kid' s friends parents to do the job and lead. Of course those parent' s kid must have had some incident otherwise they have nothing to complain about. However put up a fight.
Don' t ever feel guilty for yelling at your kids for their safety! If your kids are in harms way (Which they might be from continuing violence) you have the right to throw a tantrum if you ask me. Obviously this guy is either new to the job, doesn' t care about the kids well being, or is obsessed with something else and isn' t doing his job.
Just remember its your kids who are the ones dealing with this if their miserable, your going to be miserable.
I hope this helps,
Kayla

Reply to Kayla