Posted by: Watty | 2009-03-04

The plus, minus,minus,

I' m a 43 year old very active male weighing in at a hefty 104 kg.
I don' t use any eating plans as such since I do not have the time or patience with cooking up fancy meals at all hours of the day so I just eat heathy foods most days and record my calorie intake on a daily basis. I generally stay away from anything fatty in foods.
My daily calorie count rarely exceeds 2000 /day.
I cycle for aprox 200km per week i.e at least 5 days of the week.
During the week i make sure that I eat no more than 2 slices of low Gi bread. I have at least 1 cup of milk and a small helping of yogurt a day. I eat plenty of veg and at least 2 fruits a day.
Red meat in small portion about 3 times a week. On the other days i have fish or skinless chicken. I only drink black coffee with sweetners. My water intake is about 2 litres /day.
I' ve been sticking to this routine for 10 weeks now.
I feel healthy and fit all the time except for the depression around my weight that won' t go down no matter how hard I try. My resting heart rate is aprox 60 bpm
How can this be?

Dear Watty
I must say that I also find it strange that you are not losing weight despite the fact that you eat only 2000 kcal per day, avoid fatty foods and are doing a great deal of exercise. I can only suggest that you consult a physician to find out if you have a hormone imbalance (thyroid or insulin resistance) because this type of condition can hamper weightloss and/or cause weight gain. You don't mention your height in metres so I can't calculate your BMI to assess how overweight you are? If you need to lose more than 20 kg you may find that using Xenical could assist with weightloss. Discuss this option with the physician when you go for the consult.
Keep up the good work with the cycling - it is stunning!
Hope you can find out what is stopping you from losing.