Question
Posted by: Lee | 2011/08/19

The pill and cysts

Hi, I have been on the pill for about 8 years straight, went to the gynae in Feb this year cause I had a lot of pain during intercourse and found a cyst on my ovary. Went back now for 6 month check up cause they found " strange"  cells in my pap smear and now saw that I have mono cystic/poly cystic ovaries (is there a difference?) I thought you not supposed to get these things whilst on the pill. Should I stop the pill for a while? What complications come with poly cystic ovaries? My gynae said it''ll just be a little harder to have babies, is there anything I can take to be normall again? Never had this before and I was very regular (28 days) before the pill.

There is a difference between a single cyst and polycystic ovaries. I am not clear which it is that you have.You should continue the Pill if you have polycystic ovaries. Possible problems are difficulty conceiving, irregular cycles, hairiness. There is no cure for PCOS but it can be controlled.

1