Question
Posted by: Nix | 2011/09/27

The pill &  surgery: urgent...

Hi Doc,

I am 36 and have been on Femodene for a year. I am healthy and don''t smoke. I have having a sesamoidectomy on 26 Oct and am not sure if I should stop the pill to reduce the risk of blood clots. My orthopedic surgeons nurse said to stop a week before surgery.

I was about to change to Yaz after chatting to my gynae to reduce chloasma. I''m on the day 4 of femodene placebos (day 2 of period). Was going to start Yaz this coming Saturday.

If I start Yaz on Sat, stopping a week before surgery will mean stopping on 19 oct (19 days into the pack). When would my period arrive? As soon as I stop?

If I don''t take anything until my operation, I''m not sure when my period will arrive. Also my boyfriend who has been away for 6 months is back on 18 Oct and I certainly don''t want my period when he is here!!

Don''t know what to do. Can I carry on with the pill and not stop? Can my surgeon give me blood thinning medication to reduce the risk of clots. They didn''t tell me to stop the pill or even ask if I was on the pill. I called and asked them!!

Please help....
THANKS!!

I'm afraid I don't know what a sesamoidectomy is and how major or how long you will be immoblie for. The recommendation is that women stop the Pill 4 weeks before major surgery. You will have to check with your orthopaedic surgeon how major the surgery is and, if necessary, use alternative protection in this time.

1