Question
Posted by: Lia | 2011/07/19

The pill &  period

Hi Gynae doc,

Whenever I take my last active pill, I don''t start with my period for another three to four days (my period normally lasts up to 8-9 days). As I understand, you should start right after you''ve finished the course?

This is problematic for me, because when I start with the active pills again (after the row of placebo pills) my period continues for another 4 days - and it''s then kind of a waste. This isn''t normal right? Plus, supposedly with the pill you atleast know when your period will start, and mine is always still a surprize, regardless if I use the pills or not.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

You don't have to start your period immediately on stopping the active pills. 3-4 days into the placebos is normal. If your period is heavy for 8 days it is not normal, but if it is only spotting it is okay. If your periods are irregular on the Pill, then you need to see a gynaecologist.

1