Question

The pill &  depression

I''ve recently been put on an oral contraceptive for (now serious) health reasons. The problem is the pill makes me VERY depressed. I''ve experienced severe depression on the pill before - on which occasions I stopped taking them for my sanity. I now however, cannot stop taking the pill because they are imperative for my physical health. Having had a few ''trigger'' events recently, I find myself permanently dysfunctional, crying, not going to work for days etc. etc. Normally, the ''trigger'' events would have had me down, but not so completely dysfunctional.

My question: Do I seek treatment for the depression and the ''trigger'' events? Or do I sit tight in the knowledge that the depression''s intensity is only due to the pill &  admit to being - somewhat weak-minded?

Sounds like what might be best would be a joint consultation between your gynae, presumably the specialist dealing with the serious gynae / hormonal conditoon you allude to, and your psychiatrist, presumably in charge of your psychiatric problems. Obviously such complex issues should not be dealt with primarily by a GP.
Some methods such as Cognitive-behaviour Therapy (CBT )can help you significantly with the Depression and learning to handle trigger events better. Nothing about you is "weak-minded" - you are reacting in an unfortunately relatively frequent manner to a combination of problems and treatments. to blame yourself for that, is like blaming yourself for being "weak-minded" for going to sleep when your brain is exposed to a general anaesthetic. That's what brains do.

3

Thanks for the responses.
All the contraceptive pills I''ve tried seem to have this effect on me. My doctor just says " yes, this can happen" . She did recommend another brand, but I know they have the same effect.
CS, yes, it''s a hormonal problem. I''m not sure how my gynae would approve of a combined-with shrink consult. In fact it sounds awkward to me - at best.
I''m just wondering whether my psychological problems are not AS bad as they seem (because of the pills) and that perhaps a shrink is not the correct professional to be seeing on this matter.
Nevertheless, thanks for your comments.

Posted by: Maria | 2011/08/16

If a chemical reaction in your body, caused by a pill you''re taking, makes you depressed, that definitely DOES NOT mean you are weak-minded. What does your doctor say about it? Can you try a different pill?

Reply to Maria