Posted by: BB | 2011-11-02

The Pill - After giving birth

Hi, I gave birth to my little boy a week ago (normal). I would like to go back on the pill. When is the best to start the pill? And what is the effects on my body when I start? Will my periods resume sooner or normal again?

There are many factors that should be considered. Firstly, you have to use an oral contraception from the fourth week after giving birth to lesson your chances of developing a deep vein thrombosis. If you are however, breastfeeding, estrogen containing contraceptives have to be avoided, as this can reduce breast milk production.

If you are set on using oral contraception, you can do so after 4 weeks after delivery, giving that you are not breastfeeding. Your first period will then be when you start using the inactive pills.