Question
Posted by: Irene | 2010/07/26

The pill.........

I have been taking Yasmin for the past 5 years now, i originally started it for my skin, then they found a cyct, its benign, next to my ovary and was recomended to stay on it.

My fiance now asked me whether the pill will have adverse long term effects and will hamper my ability to fall pregnant later. I actually always wanted to ask the qustion but never did, cause i thought i was just being silly, but he also thought of it so i thought it would be a good thing to find out.

I also wanted to ask, i know the effectiveness of the pill is about 99%, but im worried of having intercourse and allowing my fiance to " finish"  inside of me, cause of the fear of falling pregnant. Shoul i be so worried, or is it safe enough to allow him to do so without the concern?

Im sorry for the crude questions.

Thanking you
Irene

Dear Irene

If taken correctly the oral contraceptive pill has a failure rate of 1:1000 that is 0.1%. In the fast majority of cases there are no short term or long-term side effects particularly regarding return to fertility. In some cases the OCP may even be used by fertility doctors to regulate and control the menstrual cycle prior to fertility treatment. Therefore provided you take your pill reliably there should be no reason to be overly concerned.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/07/28

Dear Irene

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert