Question
Posted by: Tayles | 2008-11-14

The Mirena

Hello there, I am becoming worried about myself. I am 43 years old and the past year or so I have put on about 15kgs. I had the Mirena fitted about 2 years ago. Could this be the reason? I have always been slim and now I look awful with a huge flabby tummy, fat arms an dimply thighs. I feel better in myself, I rarely get headaches not like whilst I was on the Pill. I do not get periods anymore with the Mirena but the weight gain is starting to make me depressed. Please advise me what I should do. Thanks

It is unlikely that 15 kg of weight gain is due to the Mirena. More likely that it is age related. There is a reason why the term 'middle aged spread ' is used. A strict diet and exercise plan would help.