Question
Posted by: Tania | 2010/02/09

The Metabolism Miracle Diet

I have recently started this diet which entails cutting out carbs (you are only allowed 5grams every 5 hours) for 8 weeks. Thereafter they start introducing lots more carbs for another 8 weeks. This is apparently a method of restarting your metabolism and getting your body to work correctly. Have you heard of this diet as I am a bit concerned after reading your article regarding High Protein diets.

Dear Tania
The diet you describe is just another version of the Atkins high-protein diet. You may experience the problems outlined in my article on the dangers of high-protein diets. If this should occur then it would be advisable to change over to a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet. To obtain assistance with starting a low-GI, low-fat diet please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.

1

Dear Tania