Posted by: Confused | 2009-04-01

The GI Diet

Hi there,
I was sent to a dietician by my doctor after been told i have Insulin Resistance. They gave me lists of Low GI Foods and told me to choose 5 from the Carbs list and 3 from the Protein list. The problem that i am confused about is that they put dairy, fruit and breads/Cereals/pasta/rice in the Carbs list. She said that as long as i stick to the formula of 5 and 3 i should loose weight. After looking on the other sites i have found there is alot more then these lists. She also told me that one of her clients only eats low GI bread (which makes up the 5 carbs) with 3 proteins and she lost alot of weight.

How can dairy and Fruit be classified as a carb? Please help!

Dear Confused
Carbohydrates include starches and sugars such as sucrose, glucose, fructose and lactose. Dairy products like milk contain a sugar called lactose, which is why milk has been included in the 'Carbs list'. Fruit contain high levels of a variety of sugars, particularly fructose, which is also why they have been classified as "carbs". The classification your dietitian used, is just a method for making it easier to select permitted foods. To read more about the GI, click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the various articles on the GI.

Posted by: Confused | 2009-04-02

Thanks X i will have a look at the websites and see what they say!

Reply to Confused
Posted by: X | 2009-04-02

And once again DietDoc refuses to criticise another dietician, even when it' s clear that that dietician is giving confusing and/or erroneous advise.

Hi Confused,

If you can only eat 5 carbs and 3 proteins per day according to your dietician, and she includes fruit, diary, and starches all on the carb list, she is basically telling to starve yourself to loose weight. If you stick to this sparse regime, you will loose weight. And as soon as you stop and start eating regular amounts of food again, you' ll pick up everything again (with interest!)

Better go to another dietician who will prescribe a more sensible diet.

For dieticians that follow the proper low-GI approach, check out the website www dot gifoundation dot co dot za

Click on the " Dieticians"  tab to find a list of registered dieticians that uses the proper low-GI approach, and not just their own not-so-well thought out plan.

Another useful site is www dot gabisteenkamp dot co dot za

She is one of the dieticians who pioneered the low-GI diet in South Africa - and she and other dieticians like her prescribe a lot more food than your dietician.

Reply to X