Question

The facts

Please can you help me. I am trying to get an eating plan together and boost my metabolism. Initially I want to kickstart my weightloss and get my metabolism working.
I am trying to include more proteins than carbs in my diet. I am not cutting out carbs. Just trying to reduce where I can. Is this a good idea?
Secondly I want to know if it is true that drinking green tea can boost and speed up your metabolsim?
If I eat the following is is ok?
Breakfast
Weatbix with a teaspoon of sugar and skim milk.
Lunch
Grilled chicken breast or 2 boiled eggs
Dinner
Protein and vegetables
Snacks between will include fruit, raw veg and cottage cheese
On the weekends, I won''t be so rigid but I will eat healthily probably increasing my carbs a little but healthy choices.
Thanks.

Dear The Facts
The diet you describe is certainly high in protein which will probably cause weightloss due to various factors (the diuretic effect and the satiation effect of protein), but it does not actually stimulate your metabolism. The best stimulant for a sluggish metabolism is aerobic exercise like running, skipping, cycling, etc. There is some evidence that compounds in green tea can assist with weightloss to a moderate degree. I would suggest that you include an additional portion of low-fat or fat-free yoghurt or cottage cheese instead of your protein at lunch to ensure that you obtain 1200 mg of calcium a day. Research has shown that diets high in calcium also promote weightloss. In addition it is important to ingest your daily calcium requirement to prevent brittle bones if you intend using this diet for longer periods. Keep in mind that exercise is more important for stimulating your metabolism than any other factor, so get as active as possible to obtain good results. When you are tired of eating all this protein, I would like to suggest that you have at least 1 serving of low-GI carbohydrates at every meal and cut down on the size of your protein portions.

1

Dear The Facts