Question
Posted by: Yello | 2008/09/29

The exercise story

Since having my fist child two years ago, I have never been able to lose all the weight I gained during pregnancy - which was about 9 kg. I managed to lose around 4kg, and have 5 to go - for over a year now. I' ve tried weighless - but gave up, had a personal trainer for three months ( too expensive), and everything else in between. The only time my weight actually shifted was when I went off carbohydrates completely. There I lost about 3kg, but I could not maintain that for longer than 4 months.
Now, I eat a more balanced diet, but sadly, let mey gym membership lapse as it was more stressfull going to gym, and fighting for parking, and stepping in to ' not too clean'  showers.
My new plan is to continue my balanced diet, but it is frustrating that one slice of miserable pizza is so hard to get over!! This is no way to live!

Dear Yellow
I hear what you are saying and it is an unfortunate fact that some women do struggle to lose weight gained during pregnancy. Seeing that you seem to find it difficult to lose weight despite using 2 different diets, I would suggest that you have a medical checkup to see if you don't suffer from a hormone imbalance (thyroid, insulin or female hormones) that could have been caused by the pregnancy. Don't fret about not having a gym membership. There are many other ways of doing exercise that cost much less. Buy a skipping rope and skip for 30 min a day, starting slowly for 10 min a day, and then increasing how fast and long you skip as you get fitter. Swimming and going for brisk walks every day are also healthy aerobic exercises that stimulate the metabolism.