Question
Posted by: Anike Stander | 2010-06-17

The different uses of colloidal silver

My friend and I are doing a science project on colloidal silver. Do you think that colloidal silver can extend the life span of flowers?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Do you mean cut flowers? There are claims that colloidal silver in the water of cut flowers would keep them fresher for longer - it's a good experiment to try. Silver has been used in wound dressings as a disinfectant, so it may well be effective in a flower vase (to help kill organisms that cause decay). However, the silver used medically isn't usually in the form of colloidal silver, and the amount may not be sufficient to be effective for your experiment.
A word of caution: alternative therapies using colloidal silver (as pills or suppements) have not been scientifally proven to work, and taking too much of them can be harmful. I would not recommend taking any of these products.
Please contact me if you have any further queries.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010-06-18

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert