Question
Posted by: KC | 2010/01/26

The Diet Solution Program

Hi Diet Doc,

Have you heard about The Diet Solution Program, designed by Isabel De Los Rios?

She has some very interesting ideas/tips for weight loss. I would like to get your opinion about it.

For example:
* raw organic butter in place of margerine
* coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil for cooking
* no breakfast cereals accept for oatmeal
* only raw nuts - not roasted
* whole eggs - you can have up to 3 per meal
* organic dairy products or no dairy at all
* no soy
* only bread allowed is organic sprouted whole grain bread
* replace normal salt with sea salt
* no sugar, even artificial sweetners. can use stevia sugar.

These are just some of the program' s rules.

Any comments about the above?

Many thanks
KC

Dear KC
No, I have not yet heard about Isabel De Los Rios' Diet Solution Program. In an ideal world without overpopulation everyone should have access to organically produced foods, but that is not feasible considering the size of the global population. If you are one of the lucky people who has access to and can afford organic food then use it because it is less contaminated with pesticides, herbicides, etc and had a higher nutritive value. I do not agree with all the tips you have listed. Eating butter instead of poly- or monounsaturated margarine, will increase your intake of saturated fat and cholesterol, which is not a good idea. You also need to be careful which type of coconut oil you use because most types of coconut oil have a high saturated fat content. Stick to red palm oil. Olive oil is excellent. Eating raw nuts instead of roasted nuts will decrease your energy intake which is a positive factor. By all means use organic dairy products if you can obtain them, but please do NOT take her advice to cut out all dairy products because then you will develop a serious calcium deficiency. Encouraging anyone to eat 3 whole eggs at one meal, is risky seeing that such a person would ingest at least 3 times the recommended amount of cholesterol or in excess of 1000 mg per day. Excessive cholesterol intake has been linked to an increase in heart disease. Four eggs a week is a more realistic recommendation can't imagine why she bans "all" soy. Avoiding processed soy products such as textured vegetable protein may be a good idea, but if you consider that populations in China for example have been eating soy beans for millennia and have a lower incidence of heart disease than western countries, then I can't see the reason for her ban. All salt is produced by evaporating sea water, so I don't see the difference between table salt and sea salt.
I think De Los Rios is advocating a "Return to the Caveman Diet" which has done the rounds before and which may be beneficial for those who can obtain organic products, but I do not agree with her promotion of high quantities of saturated fat and cholesterol or the casual removal of calcium-rich dairy products from the diet.

1

Dear KC