Question
Posted by: Nina | 2004/02/24

Q.

The Diet everyone is Talking about

My sister has gone on this diet called "The Diet Everyone is talking about" and lost 4.5kg and 6cm in the first week.
I have read the pamphlet and I am very tempted to try this diet. It is expensive but I need to lose weight!! - about 20kg! I have young children and it will be expensive having to buy two lots of foodstuffs for 10 weeks.
Would this diet work for someone who has a low metabolism or should I take the longer route and stick to your Slimming Diet?

Expert's Reply

A.

Dear Nina
This is another one of those high-protein diets and if you read through the Archives you will notice that I am NOT in favour of them because of the high protein and fat contents of such diets. Awhile ago another Reader wrote a message telling me that she had to have a gallbladder operation after going on such a high-protein, high-fat diet - see if you can find the contribution. It is a more balanced and prudent option to use a low-fat, high-fibre diet such as the one on this Website. You will also not have to spend lots of money as most of the foods are not expensive and the whole family will benefit from eating less fat and more fibre. If your metabolism needs a boost, then start doing regular exercise (run, walk, swim, cycle, skip - anything to get active without spending much money - or ask Fitness Doc for a home workout).

8
user comments

C.

Posted by: mone | 2014/09/04

this diet really works...was on it about 3 years ago and lost about 15kg...kept it off for 2 years and ate normal. Had a baby last year.Back on the diet again as this is the only diet that has ever worked for me and I've been on numerous...week one now-already lost 4 kg!

Reply to mone
Posted by: sindy | 2014/04/15

Hi please let me know if anyone has had success with this diet recently. I need to loose this weight as i am at sever risk of diabetes.

Reply to sindy
Posted by: Sharon | 2004/02/26

Nutrition nut, you amaze me.
You go on about how when we first walked the earth we ate fruits, veggies and protein, none of the other refined carbs etc. Ok, yes humans did many years ago. So why then does the diet you so energetically promote (you must be a shareholder in the atkins business) tell us not to eat bananas, potato etc - that was available many years ago. You are a contradiction.

Yes, it is my life. You live yours your way, I will live mine my way. I agree that sweets, cakes etc are not healthy. I don't eat them myself. But Potato also was available thousands of years ago. Get your facts straight.

Reply to Sharon
Posted by: Sharon | 2004/02/25

I went onto a similar diet. I am the person who had to have my gallbladder out. I lost 20kgs and then put on 30 when I started eating things like pumpkin, bananas etc. If you want to lose weight (albeit slower) and keep it off and still enjoy your slice of bread or plate of pasta then rather go on a low fat diet that allows you to eat from all food groups. It's better than depriving yourself of all the nice goodies you enjoy.
Good luck.

Reply to Sharon
Posted by: Megan | 2004/02/24

Hi there, I have been on this diet and it really works. I lost 24 kg's and has been off this diet for about a year. I have gained 1.6kg during the year and that's it. I eat quite normal, obviously I try to minimize my sugar intake, but I still eat carbohydrates daily and it does not cause weight gain. You can get the information on their website, normal prefix of www and then the-diet.coza. Doc is not in favour of this diet, as it is a high-protein diet. Please just hear her answer on this before deciding to go on this diet. It did not affect my health at all. Good luck!

Reply to Megan
Posted by: annie | 2004/02/24

Where can I get more info on this diet? I also need to loose 20kg

Reply to annie | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/05/21

hi annie did you go on this diet as yet. I need to loose weight and a girl in the office is doing it - loosing lotsa weight!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/05/21

Want to comment?