Question
Posted by: Claire | 2011-02-15

The Contraceptive Pill

Hi - my niece who is 16 took her Contraceptive Pill (I can''t remember the name off-hand, it is in a yellow and lime green box) last night at about 8.30pm and then unfortunately vomited about 20 minutes later. Would the Pill have had sufficient time to be absorbed and what should she do in a case like this? How long does it take to absorb before you should worry when something like this happens? Should she immediately take another pill or just wait to take the next pill this evening? Will she still be ''safe'' taking the rest of the pack and does it make a difference where she is in her cycle when the above happens? Thank-you.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi C

The general rule is if the vomiting ocurred within two hours, she should have taken a replacement pill. If she did not take another dose, an alternative method of contaception is advised fot the rest of this menstrual cycle

3
Posted by: Jasmin | 2011-03-01

I am sorry - but I can understand if she is on the pill for menstrual reasons but at 16 to worry if she will be " safe" ?? But I guess it is better than no protection at all - but perhaps she needs a little chat on the other risks.
The pill you are talking about, I think, is Nordette

Reply to Jasmin
Posted by: Amod | 2011-02-17

at 16years and on the pill?

Reply to Amod
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011-02-16

Hi C

Reply to pharmacist