Posted by: Nicky | 2012-09-06

The Champix question again....

Hello Doctor. What do you think of Champix ?? I ask because from what I have read on the internet it has A VERY POWERFUL AND NEGATIVE EFFECT ON ONES BRAIN. My brain is already in a mess (SEVERE anxiety, NO depression) and I am currently withdrawing from other drugs my physiciatrist has put me on with no benfeits at all. My precious children are far more on my mind and I must quit smoking so they and I don''t end up with lung cancer when they are in their 30''s from no choise of their own. I hate myself because I cannot stop and maybe this drug will help me, which is so far more important than what my brain may have to deal with while taking champix. But from what I have read, it never gets out of your system and one can commit suidice from it (?) Why does it have to be so difficult ?? Who said this to begin with ?? Please assist. Thanking you.

Thanks, Anon & Coco. I havent personally Prescribed Champix nor seen it used, but I am indeed concerned about the reports and highly significant WARNINGS cited by Anon. Always try to make major changes affecting your chemistry one by one if possible or if anything goes wrong (or even right ) one can't tell what changed caused what. This would be a really bad time to stop smoking with the aid of such a drug which affects your brain chemistry.
Hating yourself is undeserved and unhelpful. Whatever unpleasant side-effects Champnix might have are NOT permanent, although, of course, suicide is permanent. Discuss this with your shrink, and look to come off the other drugs carefully and graduall before even thinking of ading Champnix, and review all the other methods to help yourself stop smoking.

Posted by: Coco | 2012-09-07

Hi there,

From personal experience, I have bipolar and adult adhd though. I was on champix for 4 weeks and I got so depressed and confused, I went for a walk I got to a busy road I closed my eyes and walked into the road... i was trying to kill myself! I got hit by a taxi not hard enough to kill me though I was just very battered and bruised. the info thing warned though that people with a mental illness shouldn''t use it and I thought it would be okay as I wasn''t on any meds at the time.

Be careful of champix. x

Reply to Coco
Posted by: Anon | 2012-09-07

If you haven''t looked it up on Wikipedia, here''s what it says regarding Champix, depression and suicide :

In November 2007, the FDA announced it had received post-marketing reports that patients using varenicline for smoking cessation had experienced several serious side-effects, including suicidal ideation and occasional suicidal behavior, erratic behavior, and drowsiness. On February 1, 2008 the FDA issued an alert to further clarify its findings, noting that " it appears increasingly likely that there is an association between Chantix and serious neuropsychiatric symptoms."  It is unknown whether the psychiatric symptoms are related to the drug or to nicotine withdrawal symptoms, although not all patients had stopped smoking. The FDA also recommended that health care professionals and patients watch for behavioral and mood changes. In May 2008, Pfizer updated the safety information associated with varenicline, noting that " some patients have reported changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions." 

As of July 1, 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration requires Chantix (varenicline) to carry a black box warning, the agency''s strongest safety warning, due to public reports of side effects including depression, suicidal thoughts, and suicidal actions.

You can read the full article concerning Champix aswell as check through the referenced articles by going to www(dot)wikipedia(dot)org and searching for Champix.

It''s also worth keeping in mind that their are many people who have reported no issues with Champix at all, people react differently to different kind of drugs. Have you also asked your gp and physciatrist? I''m sure they will both have an opinion, not just about Champix but also about whether it would be suited to you specifically aswell as future drug interactions because I''m sure your physiciatrist hasn''t just given up on treating your anxiety.

Anyway, just some info if you haven''t already read it yourself :) I''ve always found Wikipedia usefull when researching something as it requires citation and lists sources, which is a lot more helpfull that going on something some guy told his brother about!