Question
Posted by: mom | 2009-04-07

the best veggie

What in your opinion, if you had to choose one vegetable, that has the most amount of vitamins or minerals.

The reason I am asking is that I struggle to get my son to eat his veggies. An age old problem, I know. I am not one to force him to sit at the table until he swallows it. he is only 2 and a half so he may still grow out of it.

He loves cooked baby carrots and also eats peas and corn. That is the only veggies he will eat. Sometimes he eats oven baked chips (no oil) but generally will not touch a potato in any form.
When he was a baby he loved his veggies, he would eat all kinds of pureed veggies, even spinach, pumpkin, butternut, you name it.
Since going off soft pureed veggies, he doesnt even try anything else.

He does eat these fruit only, apples, grapes, oranges and watermelon. He also eats cherry tomato &  cucumber &  green/red/yellow pepper.
other than these things he doesnt eat any other kind of fruit &  vegetables. I was hoping that of all the veggies, at least the carrot is one of the better ones to eat.

Dear Mom
I think that your lad is eating a nice variety of fruits and vegetables and that you do not need to worry. With no pressure from you and gentle encouragement over and over again he will start trying new flavours as he gets older. Carrots are indeed an excellent vegetable, but the other vegetables are just as valuable namely peas, corn, tomatoes, cucumber and the sweet peppers (nice variety there full of vit C and beta-carotene). His fruit selection is also more than adequate - plenty of vitamin C and some phytonutrients (grapes) plus soluble fibre from the apples. So relax and you will find that your son will gradually eat different types of vegies and fruit.