Posted by: sally p | 2009-07-08

the assistant

My husband has a new assistant , who is quite an extrovert and has a reputation in the office of being an attention seeker.
I have asked that he keep his relationship strictly professional which thus far he seems to have done. Recently at a very public company event one of my friends said he was with her , he just introduced her as his assistant , another friend said that most of the time he was out and about with the guys not her.
I asked my husband about what the first friend said , he got upset saying that he was with all the guys in his team and accused my friend of causing trouble. my friend' s intention was not to cause trouble i know this becos she hadnt said anything until i asked if she had seem my husband and who was he with. Now my friend is also very angry with him for the accusations and a little upset with me as well.
Any opinions on my husbands behaviour. I think I had the right to ask.

Much needless mischief is generated by "company events" most of which are unproductive, and the tax men should not allow deduction of such idle expenses. If she's a secretary, she should not be attending such events ; if a junior within the normal work of the office, then maybe she would have a good reason for being there, but she'd need further training rather than empty socializing. His behaviour is probably inocent, and there's a risk that starting from too much suspicion could help to create a conflict that isnt otherwise there. Suggest some mariage counselling sessions to sort this out