Question
Posted by: Morgan | 2008/10/16

THAWING OF DAY 5 EMBRYOS

I have decided to do a frozen embryo transfer with my two day 5 frozen embryos, with a natural cycle. My FS has advised that there is very little chance of it being successful, as the fresh batch of embryos did not attach, and also day 5 frozen embryos contain a lot of liquid, therefore do not thaw well. But I am willing to take that risk. My question is if the chance is so small, why do FS agree to freeze day 5 embryos then?

Dear Morgan

The success of a frozen thawed transfer embryo cycle depends on a number of factors. In particular it depends on the quality of the embryos, which were initially frozen and perhaps this is what your fertility specialist is trying to allude to. In general the teaching is that day 5 embryos thaw extremely well and is associated with a fairly high success rate if there have survived the thaw process adequately. The other factors that will impact on your success would be the adequacy of the endometrium and the protocol used in preparing your endometrium. It is generally described in the scientific literature that the success is much higher with Lucrin or gonadtropin controlled cycles as apposed to natural cycle embryo transfers. This is due to the fact that even in a natural cycle, the hormone levels and interference from the natural production may result in an endometrium that is not evenly stimulated and this minor change may negatively impact on your fertility.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Sparks | 2008/10/21

Hi Morgan

Sorry to butt in but my sister' s first IVF failed. She then did a second one 2 years later with the thawed embryos. I' m not sure if they were 2 or 5 day embryos but her 2nd IVF was sucessful so while the chances may be lower it' s still possible.

Reply to Sparks