Question
Posted by: CRYSTAL | 2009/12/08

THAT SLIMMING DIET

Hi doc
I cant believe I can eat 6 slices of bread a day and still loose weight, did I read correctly???? and I can still eat yoghurt and fruit and meat and veg AND STILL LOOSE WEIGHT!!!!!Your slimming diet is a bit confusing when you mention about substituting this food for that food, I get a bit deurmekaar. I normaly eat fruit and yoghurt for breakfast but I get hungry soon after and then I eat 2 corn thins( Real foods Corn thins Organic)with nothing on it , is this better that provita or not?and a sandwich for lunch with ham, lettuce and tomato,afternoon snack is low fat yoghurt or fat free
with fruit and dinner is chicken and veg or mince and pasta or stew and veg after dinner I have fruit and yoghurt again. but why do I stay hungry? my portions are not small they are normal portions. I also walk everyday.I am really trying to loose weight, one week I will be down a kg then the next I would have picked to up although I ate the same things as the previous week.What do you think I can be doing wrong?

Dear Crystal
I don't know why Readers have this obsession that bread is banned when one wants to slim. Bread and esp, bread with a high dietary fibre content like wholewheat bread, is a carbohydrate which only provides 16 kJ per gram, whereas fat provides 37 kJ per gram (quite a difference!). So if you eat carbs without adding masses of fat then your diet will contain less energy and then you will loose weight. The idea of giving Readers choices (e.g. substituting fish or meat, etc) is so that you don't get bored eating the same food every day for every meal. If you are constantly hungry after eating quite a well balanced diet that should produce weightloss, you may have a problem with your sugar and insulin levels. In this case try having a slice of low-glycaemic index (GI) bread with your breakfast, and lunch. You can buy low-GI bread at most supermarkets. If you like Corn Thins then by all means use them instead of Provitas, but if you do have low blood sugar then the Provitas may keep you satisfied longer. If this problem persists please consult a consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for you that provides sufficient energy to prevent hunger, but still ensures weightloss.

2
Posted by: eat those carbs | 2009/12/09

its this crazy hollywood (or something) obsession with the " Low-carb"  diet that has everyone shunning bread and the like! its rubbish because we need those " carbs" . everything in moderation people!

Reply to eat those carbs

Dear Crystal