Posted by: anon | 2008-10-31

Good morning CS,
Hope you are well and your new cat settled in and behaving better. Want to thank you so much for your article on exam stress. I' m a mature student and wrote my first exam in more than 36 years this week. Thought I was so well prepared, confident, etc. However the night before the exam I was unable to sleep at all. Nothing helped, tried the warm milk and honey and rescue remedy, which worked in the past. I have no words to describe how I felt the morning of the exam, more like a zombie. I tried my best, am trying to think that I did the best I could under the circumstances. If only I was able to have a restful sleep or some sleep, thought I would be able to focus and concentrate better.
There were lots of distractions in the hall as well as students wondered in late, etc. carpenters and their power tools, lots of whispering all around me. We were packed into this hall, felt like a bunch of sardines in a can. Talk about personal space, my elbow being bumped every now and then when one of the indivigulators walked by.

CS, that article is wonderful, but my fear is that I may not sleep the night before the next exam. Would it be a good idea for me to obtain a short acting sleeping pill, eg. stilnox and use it. Would you suggest its a good idea.

Must say, I tried the positive visualisation technique, before, deep breathing, visualising myself sitting there, all relaxed and calm, answering all the questions with ease, etc.

OH CS, all us students felt the exam was extremely tough and I felt traumatised after that day. Its all now seems like a nightmare I had.

The next one is in two weeks time.

Thank you.
Best wishes,

Well done so far --- exams are horrid things, and harder to handle when one has got out of the habit for a while.
There's snags in using any form of sleeping pill, that they can interfere with memory, the last thing you want. Worrying about not being able to sleep can be a majopr cause of not being able to sleep. Sometimes, indeed, if one tries to stay awake ( as when one unwisely tries to over-study at the last minute ) perversely, one tends to fall asleep.