Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/08

Tests to determine infertility


What tests would one undergo to determine infertility? I have PCOS &  know that I have stopped ovulating as a result. The only blood test I have done is the cd21. Are there other tests that one would need to do to see that everything else is in order?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Anonymous

There are a number of other blood tests that would assist in determining the severity of the PCOS and whether this is an associated with the co-existing metabolic syndrome. These blood tests should be combined with careful pelvic ultrasound evaluation as well so as to obtain a holistic picture of the problem and to be able to choose the appropriate treatment option. It would be best to discuss these tests with your gynaecologist. Apart from the blood test and ultrasound scanning you should also undergo tests for tubal patency and your partner should also have a semen analysis done. In many cases of infertility the problem is multi-factorial and therefore a full and thorough evaluation is necessary.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: td | 2009/06/09


pls tel me,what is PCOS?and what courses it? i did infertility screening by taking blood test,apparently im not ovulating.....and my gynae gave me fertomid to increase ovulation.

ur respond wil b highly appreciated

Reply to td

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.