Question
Posted by: Li-Anne | 2009/03/31

Tests for intolerance?

Is it possible to do a test (i.e. blood test) to find out if I am wheat intolerant? I know you can do tests for allergies, but not sure if you can test for intolerances.

thanks
Li-Anne

Dear Li-Anne
You can have tests done to check if you are sensitive to wheat. Having an intolerance to a food usually means that you do not react as violently as when you have an allergy, but the tests will still show increased antibodies and other markers. Discuss the option of having a wheat allergy test done with your dr who will refer you to a medical lab for the tests.