Posted by: Roche Enslin | 2011-05-23

Testosterone injections

I read an article on testosterone injections for men over forty used to improve quality, injury recovery, feeling younger and improved libido.

Is this not a form of steroids? How is using the supplement injections different to using the tablets aside from being managed by a doctor and being " legal"  vs illegal unregulated steroid use?

Would the use of these supplement injections have a similar effect on muscle growth if you gym while on quarterly injections?

Hi Roche

Yes it is. Doctors have this ethical question around this because strictly, it's unethical to give these injections unless they're medically warranted. I guess one can argue over whether "aging" is a condition that is medically needing treatment. There are guys who have these all the time, along with other drugs like growth hormone in youth clinics.

Obviously, there is a risk of side effects, and I guess having a doctor administer them helps control it, at least compared to getting them on some black market. My impression is that doctors who do this should be questioned about ethics very seriously, and I wouldn't advise that anyone use them.