Question
Posted by: Molly | 2012-01-22

Testosterone/ androgens

Subject: HIGH ANDROGENS??
Posted by: Molly | 1/9/2011

Hi doc,

PLease help me as to what to dO.

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year April. Was on yasmin.

I then excersized and lost 20 kgs- went from 97 to 77 kg.

I still have the facial and excess body hair problem- so my hormaones arent any better- i dont think npcos is a problem anymore- although im still on glucophage.

I have no medical aid- so bloodtests are so expensive la l - i s there anything i can do for the hair??

I have thinning hair on my scalp now, and my chin is starting to look like a man''''s. must pluck everyday, and starting to get an ugly rash from upsetting the follicles daily... i alos have the same on hte back of my thighs.

I am also getting random looong black hairs in my neck and on my back.

Im desperate. please-

EXPERT''S REPLY
Subject:
Posted by: Gynaedoc | 5/9/2011

You could try Diane 35. If this doe snot help, there are other treatments available but they are expensive and need prescription by a doctor. I presume you did have blood tests initially to check for other things?

I only saw the reply today!

I did have blood tests- and the gynea said it was high testosterone levels, and also had numerous cysts on my ovaries. She said with drastic weight loss it would improve- but it hasnt. I am now on Ruby. And still have bad facial hair, etc etc etc.

What else could this be doc?

Very high testosterone levels could indicate an adrenal tumour. I would suggest that you see an endrocrinologist to exclude this. If it is just PCOS, Diane 35 might be a better Pill to use and also extra Androcur might be indicated.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-01-25