Question
Posted by: Karabo | 2011/09/02

Testicular pain while exercising

Hi doc!

I’  m a coach and I give one-on-one lessons to rugby players, soccer players, tennis players and wrestlers to improve their explosive power. I monitor my players’  progress by keeping track of their muscle growth, weight, blood pressure, their ability to do certain exercises, jumps and stretches. I have noticed that a large percentage of my players complain of testicular pain related to certain jumps and bounding. I would like to know whether it would be legal for me to give my players testicular/genital examinations when we do our weekly/monthly progress checks and how do I do it? What advice can I give to my players about genital health? And how could my players avoid these pains?

Karabo

HI Karabo

I think the bigger problem is not necessarily legal, it's practical. What would you look for? Do you know what the signs would be to make a decision on? I suspect that only a doctor would be able to make this call. So let's say you do the genital examination, what are you going to do?

My advice is to refer them on - the worst thing you can do is try to give advice in a sphere that you're not fully familiar with. It's like I would not give advice on specific diet, or injury rehab, and I think the best is always to ask "where is the best specialist' and then your job is to refer on to them.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/09/08

HI Karabo

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc