Question
Posted by: In the dark | 2010/02/08

Testicular Cancer

Dear Doc,

My husband was diagnosed with a TC last year and needed to have one tetical removed. Thank God the cancer didn' t spread and he is healthy. He has to go for checkups every few moths, with his first checkup (3 months after the operation), they did a FHS blood test. The tests showed that his FSH levels are still very high and the doctor explained that this would indicate that he' s not producing any sperm. We now have to wait another 6 months before doing the tests again.

My question is, will this change? What are the chances of the FSH levels going back to normal and of him producing sperm again? Is there anything we can do to improve this?

We' ve been TTC for 2 years now, and this is how we discovered the TC. We really do want to have a baby and isn' t sure if it' s going to happen anymore.

Thank you.

Dear In the dark

If some form of chemotherapy has been used as part of the treatment then the FSH level may well return to normal after some time and so would sperm production. However if there has been no chemotherapy treatment then the high FSH level is certainly of concern. Perhaps a testicular biopsy on the remaining testicle may be necessary to finally resolve this question.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/02/12

Dear In the dark

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert