Posted by: MaMa Miqa | 2009-02-03

Dear Expert

My husband had a vasectomy 10 years ago and I would like to know if it will still be possible to obtain sperm directly from the testicles by means of either a needle aspiration procedure , or testicular biopsy. (is that the procedure as testicular aspiration and in-vitro fertilization)

It would also be appreciated if you could kindly give me an indication of the costs involved.

Kind regards
MaMa Mia

Dear MaMa Miqa

Yes, here it is possible to obtain sperm directly from the testis and in terms of this a testicular biopsy would be a more appropriate method but a testicular aspiration is also possible. However one would require in-vitro fertilization with ICSI to help conceive. The approximate cost for a testicular biopsy ranges from clinic to clinic and person to person and I would assume that it would be approximately R3000 to R5000.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo

Posted by: MaMa Miqa | 2009-02-12

Thank you for your advice, = I just want to clear the cost affect . I persume that the testicular aspiration alone amounts to approximately R3000 - to R5000. What is the app. costs of in-vitro fertilization with ICSI ?

Reply to MaMa Miqa